Things 3 v3.9
Meet the all-new Things! A complete rethinking of the original, award-winning task manager – with a perfect balance between simplicity and power, incredible new features, delightful interactions, and a timeless new design.
*Things is 20% off for one week to help our existing users migrate (but anyone can take advantage!) – discount ends May 25.*
HERE’S HOW THINGS WORKS
If you’re new to Things, this is the basic workflow:
1. Collect Your Thoughts
Get things off your mind quickly: no matter what app you’re in, a keyboard shortcut instantly reveals Quick Entry. Type your thoughts and save them to the Inbox. Or just talk to Siri on any device! “Remind me to…”
2. Get Organized
Create a project for each of your goals, then add the steps to reach them. For clarity, add structure with headings. Then group your projects by areas of responsibility, such as “Family”, “Work”, or “Health”. Review these regularly to stay on top of things.
3. Plan Your Time
See your calendar events alongside your to-dos and plan your time effectively. Create repeating to-dos for things you do every few days, weeks, or months – Things will remind you on the right day.
4. Make the Most of Your Day
Every morning, grab a coffee and prepare your list for “Today”: review previously planned to-dos and make quick decisions on what to tackle. Pick some more steps from your projects and then get going. The Today list is the only place you’ll need to look for the rest of the day.
5. Customize Your Workflow
Use tags to categorize your to-dos or add context. For example, tag places like “Office” or “Home”, or tag all your “Errands”, or everything you’re working on with “Kate”. You can easily find everything you’ve tagged via filtering or search.
HERE’S WHY WE THINK YOU’LL LOVE THINGS
1. It stays out of your way.
As you start using Things, you’ll quickly notice how seamlessly all the features fit together to give you an uncluttered, focused experience. There are no unnecessary frills. No pointless gimmicks or useless controls. In fact, you’ll hardly notice the app – it’s just you and your to-dos.
2. Everything revolves around your to-dos.
In Things, each of your to-dos are special. In a list, they simply show a checkbox and the title of your to-do. But when you open them, they extend into a beautiful white piece of paper that’s ready to hold your thoughts. Additional details (checklists, tags, reminders, deadline) are nicely tucked away in the corner until you need them.
3. It’s got a touch of magic.
Things removes friction in magical ways. As an example, take Type Travel, a remarkable new way to navigate your lists. You just start typing where you want to go – the name of any project, area, or to-do – and instantly you’re transported there. Or look at the Natural Date Input – just type “Tom(orrow)”, “Sat(urday)”, “in fou(r days)”, “Au(gust 1)”., and it will jump to all the right conclusions.
4. It’s got all the power of macOS.
Things is fully integrated with all the latest macOS technologies: Touch Bar, Today Widget, Calendars, Siri & Reminders, Share Extension, Handoff, and AppleScript.
5. And much more…
Everyone’s got their favorite feature, it’s impossible to list them all. See what our users love about Things – visit our website at: thingsapp.com
This is a truly incredible update, with dozens of powerful new features. See the “What’s New” section below for a full list.
STAY PRODUCTIVE ON THE GO
Get Things for iPad, iPhone, and Apple Watch and stay productive on the go (sold separately). The apps all stay updated via Things Cloud – the push sync service that we custom-built for Things.
If you have any questions, or run into any trouble – please contact us. We provide world-class, professional support for Things, and we’ll be glad to help you.
A fully-functional 14-day trial is available on our website: thingsapp.com
Things 3.9 is our big “Spring Cleaning” release – the culmination of months of work, with broad refactorings, architectural changes, and optimizations.
Most of these major changes are under the hood, so you should experience almost no difference in behavior.
In addition, we’ve made the following minor improvements on the Mac:
• Tweaked date formats throughout the app and app extensions.
• Added Quick Entry with Autofill support for the Opera web browser.
• Made behavior of the Cmd+(Opt+)K and Cmd+(Opt+). shortcuts match the iPad app.
• Improved how Things URLs with the search parameter are handled.
• Fixed a visual glitch with the search field’s clear button while running Things in Light Mode.
• Fixed a bug where the UI might not update properly when moving to-dos to different days in the Upcoming list.
• Fixed a bug where adding a to-do’s first tag via Cmd+Shift+T could break sometimes.
• Fixed some issues with several keyboard shortcuts when using the Russian input source.
• Fixed an AppleScript issue where a list’s to-dos would include list headers in a result.
There are also usability improvements for the accompanying 3.9 release on iPhone and iPad:
• The app is significantly faster to launch, and also when opening a to-do, or tapping + to create a new to-do.
• The layout of collapsed to-dos is improved, particularly for smaller iPhones, so that more of the title is visible.
• Usability of the popover for setting dates has been improved to provide more clarity, especially when also setting reminders.
For more information about this release, visit our blog at thingsapp.com